My research is broadly focused on race and democracy. I am an Americanist interested in how white supremacy and race impact institutions and government. I examine social movements, the arts (especially theater and film), surveillance, policing, democracy, and state domination to better understand governance and citizenship in the United States. I aim for my research to be used to help advance public policy as well as societal thinking to build a more intelligent, compassionate, and just nation.
PEER-REVIEWED JOURNAL ARTICLES
- Ryan, M. (2017). Imagining utopia in an unfree world: Rick Turner on morality, inequality, and existentialism. Theoria: A Journal of Social and Political Theory, Volume 64(2), 40-46.
- Ryan, M. (2013). The moral vortex. Nomadic Sojourns Journal, Volume 2, 99-108.
- Ryan, M. (2012). Help: Promise and power. Nomadic Sojourns Journal, Volume 1, 81-94.
- Ryan, M. (2010). The future of the global prison industrial complex. Journal for the Study of Peace and Conflict, 2009-2010, 1-13.
BOOK CHAPTERS IN EDITED VOLUMES
- Ryan, M. (In progress). Civic obligations of whiteness: Toward liberatory democracy. In H. Ramadan and J. Shantz (Eds.), Causes and resistance to social phobias. Toronto, Canada: University of Toronto Press.
- Ryan, M. (In progress). Protesting dystopia: The Women’s March on Washington and visual testimonies for utopian democracy. In B. Brodman and J. Doan (Eds.), Utopia and dystopia in the age of Trump: Image from literature and visual arts. Vancouver, BC: Fairleigh Dickinson University Press.
- Brunsma, D. and Ryan, M. (Under review). Sincerity in anti-racist activism. In J.S. Carter, D. Embrick, and C. Lippard (Eds.), Whitelash: White Resistance to Racial Equality in the Trump Era, University of Washington Press.
- Ryan, M. (Forthcoming Spring 2019). A place to see: Poverty in American theater from 1935-2015. In W. Lenz (Ed.), The Representation of Poverty in Popular Culture. Jefferson, NC: McFarland.
- Ryan, M. (Forthcoming) The Kerner Commission and the domination of white supremacy in the US federal government. In A. Merali (Ed.), The New Colonialism: The American Model of Human Rights. London, UK: Islamic Human Rights Commission Ltd.
- Ryan, M. (2018). Government surveillance: Racism, and civic virtue in the United States. In S. Flynn and A. Mackay (Eds.), Surveillance, Race, Culture. (pp. 43-59) London, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Ryan, M. (2017). Surveilling to Remember: The Impact of Technology on American Democracy and Good Government, Community, and Policing: Police Brutality and Civic Peace. In L. Kirakosyan and M. Stephenson (Eds.), RE: Reflections and Explorations-A Forum for Deliberative Dialogue (pp. 255-261 and 293-299). Blacksburg, VA: VT Publishing.
- Ryan, M. (2017). Sousveillance as a tool in US civic polity. In S. Flynn and A. Mackay (Eds), Spaces of Surveillance: States and Selves (pp. 211-229). London, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Ryan, M. (2017). Haunting America: Racial identity and otherness in civic society. In C.A. Varlack (Ed.) Critical Reflections: Civil Rights Literature, Past & Present (pp. 53-72). Amenia, NY: Salem Press.
- Ryan, M. (2017). Review of Freedom and Limits / John Lachs. William James Studies, 13(1), 120-122. Retrieved from http:williamjamesstudies.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/7Notes-Lachs-Freedom-and-LimitsWJS-Vol-13no-1Spring-2017pp-120-22.pdf
- Ryan, M. (2016). Finding a Better Society: The Work of Lauren Berlant’s Cruel Optimism. SPECTRA: The Social, Political, Ethical, and Cultural Theory Archives, 5(1). Retrieved from https://spectrajournal.org/SPECTRA/article/view/347/225
PEER REVIEWED CREATIVE WRITING
- Ryan, M. (2018). Insider Job. In Oasis: An Anti-Capitalist Journal of the Desert, Holum Press, 13-16.
- Ryan, M. (2018). Regeneration. In H. Fischman (Ed.), Draw Write Here, Volume 5, 32-35, 61-62, 88-89.
- Ryan, M. (2017). Purpose. In S. Cedeno (Ed.), Clockhouse, Volume 5, 129.
- Ryan, M. (2016). On the Strength of an Eyelid. In M. Eck (Ed.), Lehigh Valley Vanguard Collections: Precarity Tales, Volume 10, 21-22.
- Ryan, M. (2015). Resurrection. In H. Fischman (Ed.), Draw Write Here, Volume 2, 9-12, 75-78, 187-190.
- Ryan, M. (2015). Minding Peacefulness. In H. Fischman (Ed.), Draw Write Here, Volume 1, 56-57, 92-93.